Do you feel like your marketing isn’t working? That even with all your time on Instagram and writing blog posts and sending newsletters… you’re just not seeing results in the form of new potential clients?
If the answer is yes – you’ll want to listen in to today’s episode because we’re diving into the three reasons your marketing isn’t working and how to fix it!
I know how frustrating it can be when it feels like you’re working SO DANG HARD to market your business, but can’t figure out why it’s not bringing you clients.
So today, I want to break down the top 3 reasons why your marketing isn’t working – and most importantly – how you can start to turn it around!
Mistake #1 – Lack of Clarity
If you’re getting your message in front of people and it’s not getting a response, then chances are, your messaging isn’t clear.
I usually see this for 2 reasons:
- The curse of expertise – You’re using language that your customers don’t understand yet, simply because they don’t know as much as you do. Your messaging may be good, but for your audience, it’s going over their head. Take a step back, and consider what they’re thinking and feeling so you can deliver the value they need.
- Trying to be creative or cute or clever…and it’s confusing instead. This type of messaging can be appealing, but I promise you: Clarity trumps clever. Clarity trumps cute. Clarity trumps creativity. Look for the language your clients use to describe their problems and their needs, and reflect it in your messaging.
How to Fix a Lack of Clarity:
Ask your clients.
One of my Sweet Spot Strategy alumna, Tami Hackbarth, actually took this idea and magnified it for her 100 Women Project. (Read all about it here!)
Tami thought she knew the reasons why her clients were experiencing difficulty. But after interviewing 100 current and former clients, she learned something completely different.
That new perspective helped her take what marketing isn’t working, and revise it to meet the exact needs and concerns of her clients.
Mistake #2 – Lack of Consistency
Be honest with yourself – how consistent are you with your marketing?
I usually see this because we get busy with clients or other projects… but it will inevitably lead to a feast or famine cycle as you rush to make up for lost time when you need sales.
If your audience is going to trust your offering to deliver on their needs, they first need to know-like-and trust you from your messaging and engagement.
And to be honest – building TRUST with an audience takes time. And how much do you trust someone who only shows up when they are pitching? You’ve gotta be consistent!
How to Fix a Lack of Consistency:
Create and stick to a calendar.
Decide how often you are going to share your core content (I recommend weekly or at a minimum, every other week).
Decide how often you’re going to post on social media. (I’d rather you send 2 newsletters a month than 4 one month and 0 the next.)
If you overestimate what you can do and miss a promised delivery, that slip can cost you trust and reliability. It’s better to underestimate what you can deliver and make sure it all goes like clockwork.
Build that trust so that potential clients turn into paying clients.
Mistake #3 – Lack of Customer Journey
This is a big one! Before I explain – let me ask – is your community growing? Or are you talking to the exact same people again and again?
The Customer Journey is the path potential – and current – clients take through your content. Your marketing works in a few different steps here, and all need to keep turning to keep your biz in motion.
The mistake I see again and again is people focusing on NURTURE content only: material that’s understood and clear and valuable to current clients and community members…which, again, may be over some potential clients’ heads, and can lead to burnout in your existing community.
Maybe your marketing isn’t working because it seems entirely focused on your existing community.
What’s missing for most people, once they get a sizable community of followers, is the marketing that ATTRACTS new people into your business. You cannot forget this!
How to Fix a Lack of Customer Journey:
Choose an ATTRACT marketing strategy and implement it!
So many entrepreneurs gets stuck in this exact same trap, shifting focus to their existing audience and dropping the ball of ATTRACTING new people to their community.
If you’re struggling to attract new potential clients, you can get ideas and steps for a new marketing plan here: 3 Ways to Grow Your Audience Online.
So there you have it, friends!
If you’ve been struggling to make your marketing work for you, then you now have a quick 3 part assessment to help you turn it around.
- Is your marketing message clear? (Ask your clients!)
- Are you being consistent? (Create and STICK TO a calendar!)
- Are you implementing a marketing strategy for each stage of the customer journey? (Choose an ATTRACT strategy and follow through!)
How YOU Can Win a Ticket to the Virtual CEO Retreat!
This week, we’re doing something a little special! Starting TODAY August 15, until September 2nd, we’ll be holding a raffle for a FREE TICKET to the September 27th Virtual CEO Retreat!
That’s right – you can win a ticket to join us for a full day of strategic planning to create massive momentum in your business! There are two ways to enter:
- Review Promote Yourself to CEO in Apple Podcasts, sharing your love and biz wins you’ve gained from listening.
- Share a pic on Instagram of your device playing the latest Promote Yourself to CEO episode and your biggest takeaway – don’t forget to tag @racheal.cook!